Filed under: Mixed Media
This paper is very, very easy to make! Use high rag count watercolor paper, mix dye with water (because you don’t want the dye to dry quickly) and glom it all over the paper. Throw salt over the whole thing and let it dry in your garage overnight. Next morning, wipe off the salt. Bemoan the fact that the freezer you left the paper drying on is also now blue.
I used this piece as the background for a round robin collage project that is now hanging over my bed!
This is my bracelet with all the charms from the ArtErratica swap. Acutally I only did a half set and it was more than enough goodies! My favorite charm is probably the red glass heart with the silver detailing and the deer stamped on the glass. I’m guessing it’s a pun on “dear heart” and it tickles me, but I really enjoyed them all!
I cut a length of sterling chain, added the charms and closed it with a jump ring. I may frame it in a shadow box like my other charm swap bracelet, just attaching it with hot glue so I can pull it out and wear it when I’m feeling the urge…but locking it up in my jewelry box just seems like a crime!
I made Beryl Taylor’s paper fabric last night. My original plan was to cut it into ATC’s but it looks so pretty on a large scale. I may cut it into 8x10s and frame some squares of it for myself, my mom, etsy, whoever wants one instead.
Let me tell you how it’s done!
All apologies to Beryl for anything I did wrong based on her original instructions. (Buy her book. For serious, y’all.)
I took a large sheet of unbleached muslin and layed it over garbage bags on the table. (I actually trimmed it up after I finished the process, it was easier to get a clean cut then by laying it on my tile floor and cutting it using the grout line as a straight edge.)
I layered the whole piece of fabric with Mod-Podge (Beryl’s exact directions were PVA or thinned white glue) and while the Podge was still wet covered the fabric, with spaces in between with joss paper from the Hong Kong City Mall in Houston.
I added another layer of Podge then covered the whole piece with randomly ripped and crumpled white tissue paper. (Beryl didn’t specified ripped and crumpled, but I like lots of texture.) While everything was still wet, I brushed on a blue dye and water mixture over the whole thing. I had one long joss piece that didn’t blend as well as the others so I went heavier on the dye in that area to blend it in more. It looks better in person than it photographed.